China's call for tips on 'Taiwan independence' advocates 'irresponsible': U.S.

Washington, March 30 (CNA) A U.S. government spokesperson on March 28 labeled a recent call from the Chinese government asking individuals to report "Taiwan independence" advocates "irresponsible and reprehensible."
"China's call for private individuals to report on alleged 'persecution or suppression' by supposed 'Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices' is irresponsible and reprehensible," an unnamed U.S. State Department spokesperson told CNA in an email.
The spokesperson said the latest move is part of Beijing's "intimidation campaign" against Taiwan and its supporters and is "threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-Strait status quo."
The American government spokesperson said that the Chinese Communist Party's "threats and legal pressure only exacerbate tensions and undermine cross-Strait peace and stability."
"The United States will continue to support Taiwan in the face of China's provocative and irresponsible actions," it added.
The State Department's remarks were made after China's Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO)annouced last week that it was launching a new section on its official website on Wednesday
According to China's state-run Xinhua News Agency, the section allows people to report "vile acts by those advocating 'Taiwan independence' and their accomplices in persecuting Taiwan compatriots."
TAO Spokesperson Chen Binhua (陳斌華) said that certain organizations, government officials, and online influencers have acted as enforcers of "Taiwan independence" and their accomplices, "abetting wrongdoing and facilitating aggression," the Xinhua report read.
Later Wednesday, the TAO issued a news release saying that as of 5:00 p.m., it had received a total of 323 emails reporting individuals for "vile acts" such as "threatening to disband patriotic pro-unification groups and openly infringing on the legitimate rights of Chinese spouses in Taiwan."
Individuals reported included Interior Minister Liu Shyh-fang (劉世芳), Prosecutor Lin Ta (林達) of the Taipei District Prosecutors Office, and Youtubers Pa Chiung (八炯) and Chen Po-yuan (陳柏源).
On Thursday, Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC)criticized Beijing for launching the new section of the website, calling the move "a full-scale interference in Taiwan's internal affairs."
"It also proves that Taiwan must remain vigilant," MAC Deputy Head and Spokesperson Liang Wen-chieh (梁文傑) said.
- Politics
Cabinet pledges NT$88 billion to support local economy amid U.S. tariffs
04/04/2025 10:19 PM - Business
NDC plans measures as reciprocal tariffs push Taiwanese firms to reshore
04/04/2025 09:23 PM - Business
Brace for Taiwan stock market turbulence over Trump tariff: Premier
04/04/2025 08:53 PM - Politics
Trump tariffs aim to cut trade deficit, won't affect security ties: Scholars
04/04/2025 08:49 PM - Politics
Taiwan to seek talks with U.S. to mitigate tariff impact: Trade official
04/04/2025 07:56 PM